Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day Twelve

Hooray!  Trixie is now all closed in all by herself.  No tarps needed.  Phew!!! That saves a lot of time getting started, getting stopped.

First things first.  I started on the roof again to get the second seam sealed.  It is darned hard to get that tape on straight!  I didn't.  Not even close.  BUT, I did get it to cover the seam.   Here is the BEFORE version.


Here is the AFTER version.  You can't see where it got really crooked, but you'll have to take my word for it.  Two down, one to go!  I think that the third one is also "untaped", so it will be a matter of cleaning the roof around the seam and putting down some more really crooked tape.


Next I needed to tackle the J-rail on both sides.  Starting with the remainder of the awning rail on the starboard side, you can see here where that ends and the J-rail starts.  Lots of butyl tape squishing out from top and bottom.  All good.  I even got butyl behind the light fixture.  It's darned tricky finding the screw holes after the butyl tape is on.


Here's one of the port side.  This poor J-rail strip has done just about all it can be asked to do.  It is bent all to bupkiss, but it will be fine for this season.  Major butyl squishage here.  Very glad to see that.  I'll cut off all of that once it is all finished and I'm ready to paint.


One more shot of the port side that shows something interesting.  Look below the "silver" stripe and you can see where I removed caulk.  The caulk line was a good 1.25 inches away from the J-rail.  That's a lot of caulk!  Hopefully I won't need any at all.  We'll see.


Next!  I got the hole drilled in the ceiling framing to run the 12v wires from the new ceiling vent fan into the bathroom.  That was interesting.  But it is finished now, so no need to dwell.



For the next two photos, the answer is, "Of course not!  Why would you ask such a silly thing?"

The question is, "Stacia, can't you leave well enough alone?"  Pffffff!!!  Clearly not.

I decided that it would be far easier to replace the whole 4x8 on the ceiling than trying to patch the old buckled paneling, so I demolished that.  The insulation is still in good shape, so I'll add the Pink Panther stuff to this, rather than taking this out.




And I took out the rear port panel also.  Same reason.  I can cut one piece out of a 4x8 to create one solid piece back here.  Much easier than assembling pieces (she says with great confidence).  I still need to cut some bits and pieces off at the ceiling, but that's shouldn't take long.  The wood is in fine shape.  Woo hoo!

I'm reasonably confident that I am 99.5% finished with all demo.  The only thing left is the flooring.  I just need to decide if I am demolishing just the green/white tile or the original sheeting that is below that.  I've decided to just drop in a sheet of underlayment 1/4" plywood for the summer.  I'll paint it and it will be fine for now.

I'm hoping to get some time in after work this week to get the rest of the insulation in.  Then I'll shower it down with the hose to see if anything is leaking.  If I don't find any leaks, I'll put in the paneling next Saturday.  Then it is on to the breaks, etc.

Did I mention that I bought Trixie a new car?  Well, it is a new old car.  But this is one that should be able to tow her with no problems.  A Subaru Forester.


That is all there is to report tonight, folks.  Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment