Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day Twenty-one

It took me a long time to get the support right on the long bench.  I put back exactly what I took out, but nothing was square or level, so it was a real trick trying to figure out how to make everything come out OK in the end. It might have been wiser for me to take the whole thing apart and start from scratch, but I didn't.  It's OK, though.

I meant to take a photo of it all open.  I'll try to remember to do that next time.

New piano hinges should make it easier to open and keep the hinges from tearing out as easily.


On the dinette side, I got the top put on there, but that was a little messy also.  Apparently, the plywood used to manufacture this camper in 1972 is no longer a standard thickness.  I can get it thinner or a lot fatter.  I used the stuff that I already had, which is thinner.  I thought that better, since the two "boxes" and the table in the center need to be the same thickness when the table is converted, so that it creates a bed.  I didn't think it would work well to have the two ends higher than the middle.  But that also meant that even the little bitty screws for the piano hinges went all of the way through the plywood and into the rear framing.  NOT GOOD.  This will have to be one of the things on the ever-growing "things to worry about after the first two trips"list.


The top of the rear bench is cut and ready to go, but I still have to build supports for it.  As weeknights are set aside for cushion-making, it will have to wait until next Saturday.

Tick!  Tick!  Tick!  Tick!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment