Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day Three

Today was a great day!  A little slow, but still great.

I really struggled with the disparity of measurements from the port side to the starboard and it took me a long time to figure out how to compensate for those.  If I were starting all of this over again, I would have just taken out all of the "repairs" done by a previous owner on the interior walls and started from scratch.  I would have saved a lot of time.  Live 'n learn.

Here you can see that the bottom of the rear is now all framed in.  Mind you, 100% of it will have to come out again, but that's OK.  Using screws makes that easy.  Once I have what I think are all of the new pieces in place, I'll refit the skin and windows.  If all of that goes back on/in correctly, I'll remove/re-affix each new piece with glue and screws.


Having so much stuff inside the camper obscures the view a bit, but, hopefully, you can see.

With all of the lower framing in, I spent an hour or so taking off the J-rail from the top part of the rear and removed the skin from the upper rear (still have the top rear to go).  Demo (as I have likely already mentioned) is a royal pain and VERY time consuming.  This time I found not only the expected hex screws and staples, but also more drywall screws and every possible type of nail.  Come on, people!!  You couldn't run down the street to your local handy dandy hardware store and at least get something galvanized!!??  Jiminy H. Crickets!!

Today was the first time that I got to see anything much above where I've been working.  I knew that it couldn't be good, though, because the highest I could see was rotten.  So, finally, with the upper part of the back skin off, I could see there those upper framing pieces start.  Here is the port side.  the large cracked piece that you can see here is the interior paneling that is behind the upper bunk.  It cracked when I removed the framing at the bottom.  You can see where that framing came off by the rot on the bottom couple of inches of paneling.


Here is the starboard side opposite the rotted port side above.  Although I knew that the piece on the far right was rotten, I suspected that the piece next to it was also.  Not at all.  It is in good shape.   Again, the piece to the left of this is the backing of the bunk.  It'll have to come out because the port side of it is rotten.  Shocking!



What on earth would I have done without these wonderful "3rd Hands".  Brilliant.  You can see how I've propped up the upper rear skin.


Say bye, bye!  No more paneling.  What remains here is one of the stabilizing pieces of framing for the bunk.  That's good so it can stay.


The next job is to remove the skin from the remaining pieces of framing, so that I can get that bad framing out.  That'll take a few hours, so I thought it best to hold off until tomorrow morning.  Time to get cleaned up for the night.  I might have some help tomorrow, so maybe you'll see more progress tomorrow night!

'night campers!

No comments:

Post a Comment