Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day Six

Phew!  A heck of a day.  But at least it is a "you can see what I did" day.

Here's where we (Tilly and I) started:



I'll tell ya, though, I was REALLY worried that the skin was not going to fit back on.  Now that would have made for a fun day.

Lots and clamps and staples later, here's the rear view now:


And the starboard side:


All new butyl tape under each seal.  Clear sealant in each hole.  The window is still a bit of a problem, though.  I had a really tough time lining up the screw holes in the aluminum.  What is really peculiar is that I figured if I could get the four corners in, the rest would just be easy peasy.  Not so much!  Although the top row is in entirely, and so is the left side, there are 4-5 screws in the bottom that I just can't seem to make work and none of the ones on the right seem right.  Of course I can always drill new holes, but this poor little camper has enough holes without my creating more on purpose.

I'll be taking a day off from Trixie tomorrow.  My grass needs cutting, my tomatoes need planting and my house is  a wreck.  But I'll be back on the job on Monday.

Oh!  I forgot to show you the ceiling vent:


Its hard to tell from this photo, because I have caulk solvent all over it, but there is black tar-like stuff all around the vent opening.  I think it is roof tar.  What awful stuff to remove.  What you see here is after I spent an hour and a half scraping off as much as I could.  Some of it is as much as 1/3 inch deep!  And it is applied over caulking in some areas.  What a mess.

What I know now is that the caulking solvent did absolutely nothing. Next, tar remover (something I didn't know existed until today).  I could go with acetone, but that can cause other trouble.  We'll just have to see how the tar remover works.

OK, campers.  That's it for tonight.  We're pooped!

************

Do forgive me!!  I was just reprimanded for not properly introducing Tilly - Mathilde Jane to those of you who have not been properly introduced:



If she appears to you to be lounging on a guest bed, you are mistaken, as that is not allowed.

Tils at the end of a day working on Trixie:


No comments:

Post a Comment